History and Eagles
September 5, 2026
Ever since I was a little girl, I have enjoyed reading. I
can lose myself in a good book so easily. And one of my favorite authors since
childhood has been Laura Ingalls Wilder. In fact, my mom and I both reread her
Little House books many times.
And on Day 16 of our latest journey, I got my Laura Ingalls Wilder
passport stamped at the museum of her birthplace in Pepin, Wisconsin. I was a
little disappointed that the museum seemed to have more artifacts that were not
about the author than those that were, but you don’t know until you know.
We also drove 7 miles up the road to visit the Wayside Cabin,
which is a replica of the Little House in the Big Woods, the title of the first
book in the series she wrote about her pioneering life.
Since seeing these two sites didn’t take long, we decided to
pop into Minnesota for lunch at Herb+Arrow in Wabasha, known as the Eagle
Capital of America. We sat outside near the Mississippi River bridge and were
delighted when 3 bald eagles soared over us as we waited for our food!
After I enjoyed the chicken alfredo and Terry a panini, we
took a lovely walk along the river. Then we drove to Perrot State Park to camp
for a couple of nights before we headed back to the cabin.
Unfortunately, the shower/restroom facilities did not quite
meet our expectations. I guess I was wrong in assuming all Wisconsin State
Parks would be as nice as Peninsula SP. It was quite disappointing.
And so, the next morning we pivoted yet again! Stay tuned to
find out where we went next!


No comments:
Post a Comment