Thursday, August 6, 2026




Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

August 5, 2026

We unintentionally picked up a little hitch hiker as we left the campground for the last time (this trip). I’d never seen a spider that color before. I was so glad he was on the outside of the window!

We climbed Eagle Tower for the last time (this trip) and I took one more photo of the view and BART far below us.

Our leaving was bittersweet. . . we had such a wonderful time in northern Door County we didn’t want to leave but we know we will return some day. But there were still some things we wanted to see and do before the day was over.

So, we headed south to Fish Creek and had a wonderful, relaxing breakfast at Bayside Coffee, which overlooked the harbor. Then we walked and shopped the town!

From fudge at The Confectionery, souvenir sweatshirts at On Deck Clothing Company, a wind spinner from a garden décor store to a jar of cherry jam, we came home with some wonderful treasures!

We thoroughly enjoyed Fish Creek’s walkability and the three public restrooms scattered around downtown were very much appreciated.

We then headed to Sturgeon Bay where we had booked a Harvest Host stay at the Marina. But first we stopped at Sonny’s Italian Kitchen & Pizzeria and attempted to eat a 12” Gourmet Veggie Stuffed Pizza. Let’s just say we had leftovers for several days!

The restaurant sits at the south end of the Historic Sturgeon Bay Bridge which was built in 1931 and is on both the State and National Register of Historic Places. This draw bridge is the only overhead truss, Scherzer-type, double-leaf, rolling-lift Bascule Bridge that remains in Wisconsin.

While we were waiting for our pizza, the horn blew to announce that the bridge was being raised. As we were seated outside on the raised patio, the sound was very close and loud. I shuddered and grabbed the table, at first not understanding what was going on. When Terry laughed, I assumed he was laughing at me as I startle easily. Nope, he was laughing at his own reaction!

Life on the road is certainly an adventure!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Lesson Learned September 8, 2026 When Terry and I plan our trips, we usually have a few places we definitely intend on seeing. For exa...