Escaping the Heat
July 31, 2026
While the heat wave was brewing out west, Terry and I
decided to “get outta Dodge”. I don’t tolerate heat very well and heck, Terry always
wants to travel! Plus, BART had just gotten a couple of upgrades, and we wanted
to try them out (more on that later).
After watching some informative YouTube videos—thank you LoveNesters!
—we decided to head north. We threw some clothes and food in the van, and I
checked the radar and traffic and we hit the road.
There were some showers and accidents on my screen for the
latter part of our first day’s driving, but Terry was sure that all would be
clear by the time we reached that point. And, of course, he was right.
One of the things we do when we drive anywhere is to check
off the state license plates we see on the road. Terry’s rules are that the
plate must be on a passenger vehicle (no tractor trailers, etc.) and that we
both have to see the plate. Bonus points are awarded if the plate is from
outside the US.
So, we’re driving along, headed north on I-55 in Illinois
when Terry points out a Mexican plate from Puebla. Bonus Points! He then admits
he doesn’t know what part of Mexico that is. Google Queen that I am quickly
inform him that it’s just east southeast of Mexico City. And then I notice
that’s the region I actually visited on a mission trip I took with my church about
10 years ago! What a coincidence!
A few hours later, we arrived at our resting place for the
night. . . an alpaca farm near Belvidere, Illinois. The site is one of several
Harvest Host locations we have used as we travel. But they had more than
alpacas! Pictured above is me with their kissing llama!
Life on the road is certainly an adventure!
Follow Us to find out what happened in the middle of the
night!
And check out our Instagram page for more photos of our
journey!




No comments:
Post a Comment